Saturday, January 29, 2011

Sunday morning pancakes

So called because reader AdanA asked for new ideas for Sunday mornings...I actually made mine on CarbDaySaturday!!!

My lovely wife and baby-mamma claims these are the best pancakes she has ever had; I'm glad she likes them, and I wish I could claim they were my creation, but I'm just using Michael Ruhlman's basic recipe from his book Ratio.  I think Ruhlman is pretty clever, and the book is a nice edition to any kitchen library.


We will also consider this post an experiment in video blogging...the "pop" you hear between cuts is the pause button clicking as I basically edit the cuts while shooting...

I've also noticed while reviewing the video that I omitted the salt component from the series...there should have been a shot showing the addition of ~ 1.5 teaspoons of salt to the dry mix.

Ruhlman's book operates on this principal that recipes are basically fixed ratios of component ingredients, and that once a cook is aware of the proper (or classic?) ratios, that cook is then free to experiment around the edges with flavorings (add cinnamon, or fruit, or what have you, to the base pancake mix), or can experiment with the ratios to effect the ultimate consistency of the dish (fluffier pancakes?).

For the version I made in the video:

12 oz flour (and 12 oz milk - this one to one ratio of flour and milk is the basis of the recipe)
3 large eggs (your you are shooting for one egg to each 4 oz flour/milk)
3 oz butter (1 oz to 1 egg...also, have the butter melted before introducing to the wet mix.  Believe me.)
1.5 teaspoons of a quality vanilla extract.  Costco's store brand is crazy cheap.
3 table spoons of sugar (1 spoon to each oz butter or egg...see how this ratio thing scales?)
3 tea spoons baking powder
1.5 tea spoons salt (I just kind of free-ground over the dry bowl until it felt right)

That's 8 ingredients.  And it goes together quick; please do not buy a pancake mix again...life's too short.

1 comment:

  1. That's a brilliant video! I love it.

    I forgot to get eggs yesterday. With luck, Aisle 9 will be open and I can run down the block and grab some in a little while.

    Thanks for the recivid,

    Adan

    ReplyDelete