Thursday, February 17, 2011

announcing: top secret project!

FALAFEL
FOR
MY BABY

Of course I realize it doesn't seem like a secret when posted to the WWW, but I suspect that my sweetie (the "baby" referenced; another point of possible confusion, I know, given that I have an actual baby now, but my special lady friend will always be my baby too...) doesn't actually read the DRW FOOD blog often, so we may have a few days to operate in secrecy.

Before we left Chicago for the open embrace of Tennessee, my lovely wife became obsessed with falafel, in particular the sandwiches on offer at this store front in Lincoln Park:


View Larger Map

Now, I should interject that Chattanooga is not a food wasteland, devoid of any interesting restaurants...we have found some decent Thai, an Indian place nearby with good food, and a quick service place run by a Mediterranean family that sells, alone among hamburgers and cheesesteaks, a falafel sandwich!  But this falafel is not the same as that we left behind, and it's my super secret plan to attempt a recreation of that Chicago falafel here, in our own kitchen, and to surprise the wife with my efforts.

I'll be pulling together resources in this space over the coming days, and will begin to outline my approach.  We can all learn about falafel making together!

No comments:

Post a Comment